Monday, January 01, 2007

What a great way to start the year: 3 pounds lighter!

Obviously, weight loss is one of my goals for 2007. Notice, I didn't say "resolutions." I don't make resolutions. Everyone breaks those. I do, though, make goals that I strive to keep and that's one of them this year.

I've been toying with the idea of joining Weight Watchers, but have a problem with that. First, it can be expensive. It looks like $40 a month, which I guess isn't *that* bad, but still.... And I'm not the one to usually spend money on myself like that.

Then there's the whole "getting to the meetings" part. I guess that wouldn't be so bad. I know if I'm spending $40 a month, I'll make sure I get there. Part of being frugal, you know. (No one likes to be cheap!)

I know darn well that I need motivation. Hubby says he'll walk with me, but I'm not sure that will happen and (knowing me like I do!) him NOT saying "let's go" will be the excuse I need to blow it off.

Other health goals I have this year include to exercise daily, to drink my 64 oz of water each day, complete six volksmarches in the year, and walk the "circuit" -- a 4 mile circle near our home -- at least once a week. Now, I know that I won't get to that last one right away. I need to be in better shape first!!!

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm right there with you wonder twin. In fact, read the blog and you'll see that I have goals and not resolutions too! Have you looked at the online option for WW? No meetings. I'm tossing up a Curves membership. We'll see if I can earn enough to cover the fee on my own. I am, however, determined to be smaller than this time next year. Technically I got my bum in a size smaller jean yesterday than I was at New Year's 2006. I eeked that one out! :) Wonder Twin - activate! Power of a weight loser! (ducking)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I should see if they have volksmarches here....I've contemplated Curves or WW or some such program this year...but I have the same issues you do with them. I need to do something here - same with working out...I just don't have the time to drive to the gym etc....I need to do it here...I just need to DO IT....and I've set the goal - planned the plan.... I AM lighter than I was a year ago...but if I hadn't blown it on vacation and gained 10 lbs I'd be happier at this point. LOL

Baby steps...at least they are FORWARD. LOL

Stephanie said...

ok - so what is a volksmarches? I'm confused! (no comment Jen)

JenBin said...

Gee, this is too easy....

But I'll be good.

A volksmarch is a 10K walk. Here they have them near the faces and the "Sculpture that will never be done" of the Native American warrior. They also have them in the different towns for events or just around the town anyway. You can get info at http://www.ava.org/

JenBin said...

My biggest problem with Curves (or any other gym) is that we are retired military and live near a military base. I can't justify joining a gym. Maybe I'm just too cheap!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jen...I have the same struggle about the gyms that you do. When we lived down the road from the base gym I was THERE 6 days of the week. Now it's a drive, it's a busy student gym and would take a couple of hours a day away from home...read boys watching younger ones and not a good thing to do that long on a daily basis....

SO I've looked at gyms nearby (Curves, Golds) but I always come down to the $ thing too. So I ride my bike and KNOW that this would come off quicker with gym aerobic equiptment....but slow and steady....