Wednesday, October 02, 2013

It's not the music that bugs me....

Blogging day 2 shouldn’t be this hard.  But it is.

Today’s prompt was something about what song annoyed you every time it came on.  I don’t have one.  Well, I probably do.  I just can’t think of it.  If I can’t think of it, I can’t write it.

Instead, I’ll write (complain!) about something I heard on the radio this morning.  The morning DJ’s were talking about the government shutdown, which is a whole other post.  What bothered me about it was the following comment:

“This is about ObamaCare.  That’s a law.  Get over it.”

Excuse me?  You know, it was a LAW that women couldn’t vote.  It was a LAW that alcohol was illegal.  It was a LAW that 55 miles per hour was the fastest you could drive.

How many of those are still national laws?  Um, none.  Zero.  Zip.

In South Dakota, the following are still laws:
  • No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
  • It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
  • Movies that show police officers being struck, beaten, or treated in an offensive manner are forbidden.

Oh, and I’m sure they’re consistently enforced, right?  

There’s also a debt-ceiling law which seems to get changed on the whim of the idiots in Washington, D.C.  

Do I think a government shutdown is the right answer?  No.  But a revolt is probably not the “right answer” either.  

Yes, ObamaCare is a law.  No, I don’t like it.  Yes, it’s costing the average working person much more than they anticipated.  Yes, it’s going to cost jobs.

But to say “That’s the law.  Get over it.”  I’m sorry, but that’s shortsighted and one of the biggest problems in the United States right now.

So, Mr. DJ, pull your head out of the sand.  Look at the state of the country, the state of the world.  There are many things wrong, and being complacent isn’t going to help.  Frankly, it’s what got us into this mess to start with.


Me

3 comments:

Not Hannah said...

You're right. None of those things you posted are still laws. But they became NOT laws after a legal process outlined in the Constitution, not during a drink-fueled game of one-upsmanship that forces our government to shut down while our bills go unpaid.

JenBin said...

True. And everyone in Congress is acting like a childish, spoiled brat. But I don't think "get over it" is the right answer for any law. Ever.

SD Sue said...

Jen for President!!