Thursday, June 29, 2006

NOTE: I'm gonna rant!
Ok, so why would you have an animal, let it roam the neighborhood and NOT get it spayed or neutered? Are people just that stupid that they don't know that animals WILL reproduce? DUH! They teach sex education in schools, right? You can't apply that to cats?

For those who haven't guessed, my neighbors don't "fix" their cats. They let them roam around -- which is great for catching mice, but not so great for little girls catching cats. We know have a litter if kittens in my yard. The sad thing is they will grow up and be "un-fixed" cats, so the cycle will continue. We go through this every summer. So far my daughter has caught 2 (including this little runt!) and we've taken them to the shelter. It's 90 degrees here this week and these little guys need to be given a fair chance, don't you think???

Do I wish I could keep them all? Yep. Do I regret taking them to the shelter? Nope. Better than letting them starve or have MORE kittens which will starve. Do I wish my daughter wouldn't get so attached to the cute little things? Yep. (For the record, I have 3 cats already!) Do I wish my neighbor would be a more responsible pet owner? Yep!!!!

6 comments:

Plain Jane said...

I couldn't agree more with your rant! Too many cats are left to fend for themselves because humans don't have the sense to have their pets neutered or spayed. We adopted our oldest (17) from a friend whose cat turned out not to be a boy. The second one - my cuddlebum - was dumped as a kitten near my parents' farm. His siblings, dumped at the same time at various spots along about a mile and a half of blacktop, were killed by cars. Number three was adopted from the local Animal Rescue League at age 2. My mother's cat was probably around the same age when someone dumped her out of a car. She was already altered and *declawed*. What a dirty trick! Fortunately, all four of these cats have forever homes with us and they never go outside. The boys are altered, the girls are spayed and if we decide to increase the size of our "family", we'll go back to the ARL and adopt another cat that has been abandoned.

Anonymous said...

At least you do something to help the lil guys (and gals!) out!! My heart breaks for the way animals are treated (but when I see the way some people treat other people, how can I bve surprised?)

So, since they can't say it, I will. Thank you for caring enough to not only rant but to do your part to make it better!!

JenBin said...

Thank you both for taking in other cats. I still can't believe people would let animals "just go" like this....

Debbie said...

Want to Rant with you. I believe in spaying and neutering all animals. Don't have any at the moment, but daughter used to have outside cats. She had two litters, all kittens died on the road, then we had her neutered.

I want a cat at the moment, but hubby doesn't. Such is life. But if we ever do, we will have it neutered.

We used to have two male poodles, and had them spayed, even though they were indoors most of the time.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jen...could you email your blog entry to your neighbor. I'm with you. I hate this sort of irresponsibility.

JenBin said...

De'Etta, I wish the neighbor would listen!!! We've mentioned it to him before and he just doesn't care....