Sunday, September 08, 2019

Killing time with true crime

What do you listen to?  What's your jam when you're driving down the road all alone?

Me?  Podcasts.

And that's weird because I'm not a fan of talk radio.  Or maybe I'm just not a fan of sports or political talk radio.  Turns out I am a fan of true crime podcasts.

Go figure.

But, podcasts are what I play when I go to the gym (which is also not my favorite).  They're what I do when I'm sitting at my computer checking emails and scrolling through Facebook.  They're what I listen to when I'm driving or washing dishes.

So here are my "go to" podcasts (in no particular order).

  • True Crime Garage:  Nic and the Captain cover a crime and a beer.  I appreciate the guys' insight.  I also like the fact that they stick to the crime and there isn't as much off topic chatter as some other podcasts have.
  • Cold Case Files:  If this name sounds familiar, you are right.  This is the A&E show, but as a podcast.  It's a QUICK listen if you don't have a lot of time and want to get an entire episode in.
  • And That's Why We Drink: This one combines two of my passions -- true crime and ghosts.  Seriously.  What could be better?  Em and Christine start each episode with a ghost story, and end with a true crime one.
  • Wine and Crime: Three friends who drink wine, chat true crime, and unleash their worst Minnesota accents.  What more do you need?  
  • Casefile: I LOVE listening to Casefile.  And it's not just because the anonymous host is from Australia -- but that accent sure helps!  I also like that this isn't a US based podcast.  It covers some cases I may not have heard of otherwise.
  • The Murder Squad: What do you get when you combine the detective from the Golden State Killer case, the reporter from the bodies in the barrel, and a slew of armchair detectives?  You get the Murder Squad.  Paul Holes and Billy Jensen cover a case that either could have more victims or is still unsolved and ask listeners to be on the lookout.
There are more.  Lots more.  There's Spa Girls (self-publishing) and History Chicks and Craftlit and Writer's Detective Bureau and ....  well, I could keep going. 

But I'm always looking for something new.  

What about you?  What are you listening to?  Drop your suggestions in the comments!

JenBin

No comments: