Thursday, July 28, 2011

(reposted from http://secondwindpub.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/live-out-loud)

Life is too deep for words, so don’t try to describe it, just live it. -C.S. Lewis

Today started out like any other. I was up and at the computer before anyone else in the house had even opened an eye. There was stuff I needed to do, stuff I really should do, stuff I wanted to do, and the other stuff.

I started with the first two categories. Since I am self-employed and work from home, by 6 a.m. I had updated a client’s web site, checked my work e-mail, and started a blog post. I finished off my pot of coffee and showered once I knew I would be able to tell the body soap from the hair conditioner. I even considered taking the dog for a walk before it got too dang hot outside.

That’s when it happened. That’s when things got goofy.

“Psst. Got a minute?” It was a male voice, whispering.

Looking around, I didn’t see anyone. And since the voice lacked a distinct Texas-drawl, I could safely assume my husband wasn’t the owner of voice. The voice being male, I could also safely assume the voice didn’t belong to either of my children, them both being daughters and all.

“Pssst. Over here,” the voice repeated.

“Um, God? Is that you?”

“Yep. Nice of you to remember.”

I grimaced. “What can I do for you?”

“We need to talk.”

Gulp. “We do?”

“Yep.”

“I’m a little busy. Is this going to take along time. I have to have this blog post done today you see. . . .”

“And I have a Universe to see to, so I promise to make it quick.”

Gulp.

“You’re seriously forgetting some things. I know you don’t much care for change, but really, Nichole. You’re taking it a little far.”

“What do you mean I don’t like change? I’ve been considering a new hairstyle.”

“And those boxes in your living room?”

“Oh, those aren’t mine. The kid is going to college next month. But you probably know that, don’t you?”

“Yep. But you aren’t taking it very well.”

“She’s my baby! Do you know what’s like to lose your baby? Oh, yeah, I guess you do.”

“I never said it would be easy.”

“It’s just that, well, she’s going to leave on her adventure. She’s growing up and will be starting a life, an adventure, a journey, all on her own. I want her to be happy and healthy and successful in whatever she decides to do.”

“Yep.”

“I’m so proud of her. And so worried about her.”

“Did you tell her that?”

“Tell her?”

“Yep. Tell her.”

“Okay, I promise to tell her just as soon as she wakes up.”

“Good. Now about that shirt.”

“My shirt? It says ‘Live Out Loud.’ I got it when I went to visit my parents.”

“Yep. But are you doing it?”

“Visiting my parents? No, I’m at home. Oh! You mean living out loud. Well, I’m a bit shy you know.”

“There’s plenty of ways to be loud. And plenty of ways to live.”

“Yeah, I suppose there are. . .”

“She knew that.”

“She? Knew? My kiddo is just sleep . . . . Oh, you mean Jolee. Did you have to take her?”

“It was her time. She was tired of fighting.”

“Lung cancer. She didn’t deserve that.”

“You know better?”

“Sorry. But I will miss her. I already miss her. Her celebration of life is this afternoon.”

“I know.”

“God, I’m not sure I can go. I really don’t like funerals.”

“Celebration. Of. Life. It’s BYOB, remember.”

“Yeah, but. . . .”

“Her family should know you love her. Her family should know they aren’t the only ones who will miss her.”

“I suppose. It’s hard, though. I’m about to cry just thinking about it.”

“I know. Jolee understands.”

“Of course she does. She was one of the most understanding people I even met.”

“Learn from her.”

“Excuse me? Learn from her? You took her, remember?”

“Live out loud. Learn from Jolee. What do you admire about her?”

“Her humor. Her ability to laugh at herself. The way she always looked on the bright side of everything.”

“So do it. Honor her by emulating those things you admire in her.”

“I’m not sure I can be as easy going as she was. You just didn’t give me that skill.”

“Work on it. But didn’t you also admire the way she told people how important they were?”

“Well, yes, but I’m not very mushy. I get embarrassed when people thank me in public.”

“Work on it.”

“Yeah, but—”

“No buts. Do it. Besides, it’s better to give those messages in person rather than have to go through Me.”

“True. I promise I’ll work on it.”

“Good. Start now. Remember those things you thought you needed to accomplish today?”

“Yes.”

“You don’t. Move those to the ‘should do’ list. Every day there needs to be one thing on your ‘must do’ list. Just one.”

“Just one?”

“Just one. Live out loud. Tell people how much they mean to you. Make the world a better place. Laugh. Don’t worry about being embarrassed. Make sure the people you love know that you love them. Live. Out. Loud. The rest is icing on the cake.”

“Live out loud. Got it.”

“And, Nichole?”

“Yes, God?”

“Start now.”


No comments: