Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Why I didn't blog over the weekend

I had every intention of blogging on Friday.  And Saturday.  And Sunday.  And even on Monday.

However, Mother Nature and Jack Frost combined to thwart my plans.  However, I'm not calling defeat.  It's not my fault that we were slammed with snow.  No, really.  We were.

I'm not talking about a few inches, and some wind.  No.  We had 21.5 inches.

I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Almost two feet of snow, not counting wind.

That would be a Jeep Cherokee and a Chevy Silverado under snow pile one and two respectfully.

As if the snow wasn't bad enough, there were massive power outages.  Poles were snapped.  Last I heard, there were at least 1,300 poles broken like the one up the road from my house.  We're lucky.  Our power is back on.  (It was out from about 3 p.m. Friday until about noon on Monday.)

That's a lot of food that went bad.  48,000 people were without power at some point.  That's a lot of spoiled milk.  South Dakotans lost a lot of cattle.  Some estimates are at least 5% of the state's entire cattle were killed in the storm.  Not going to be good for beef prices.

So now you know why I didn't blog over the weekend.  Clearly, the Universe had other plans.

Me


2 comments:

Nessabutterfly said...

Yikes! And here I missed my post yesterday because I was traveling. To Florida. There is definitely no snow here. I hope you dig yourselves out okay.

JenBin said...

We're working on it! And I would have much rather been in Florida! ;)